Thursday, May 7, 2009

Road Trip

I left Monrovia California on Easter weekend and drove to Phoenix to spend Easter Sunday with my Great Aunts (Mabel and Miriam) and lots of cousins.  My cousin Paul and I put our names in raffle at church to win a 1965 Mustang convertible in excellent condition.  I think they lost my telephone number to let me know we won.  
From Phoenix I drove to Denver to spend a night and day with another cousin, Judy.  It was great to just relax for an evening with great people and fabulous food (homemade humus is the best!).  Ruth, a friend of Judy's from NY was there and she and I got to talk Caribbean stuff since she is from the Caribbean.  
Denver to Lincoln, NE was unadventurous (probably good) except that I took the wrong highway accidentally and headed south through KS instead of north through NE.  The best part of the trip was getting on back roads to work my way up through KS to Lincoln.  It inspired me to plan and see quirky roadside touristy things on my way through Iowa.  I Googled the idea and found a website,  www.roadsideamerica.com, where you can see what's available in any state you want.  
The next day I got to see some of America you just don't see if you stick to the freeways. I was bummed that I took a wrong turn and missed seeing the worlds largest revolving jail. Apparently the jailer didn't want to walk around to check on his "guests" so they built a three story jail on a giant lazy susan (which doesn't work anymore apparently).  I highly recommend these little side trips.  It took a little longer but I got to meet some fun people along the way (a nice couple in a restaurant taking a similar route, and the kind people who helped when I lost my way) and it was so much fun I was energized when I arrived at Chicago rather than exhausted.  

What a great name for a fun little town (my middle name)

Shadows are cool in the town of Lynnville
World's Largest Truck stop with full service Truck parts shop, full semi truck and two truck cabs on display and for sale.  Some truck driver thought I might be for sale as well.  You can imagine he was disappointed to learn I was there because I thought it was super cool (having always been fascinated by semi trucks) not because I wanted to be in the "service" industry.
Sculpture made from Iron Wheels
Fence around of Sculpture made from Iron Wheels

A Smiley Face water tower - I need to move here!
Danish Windmill brought over by the residents of Elk Horn IA
Giant daddy long leg spider made from a VW bug car.  It was at least 6 feet off the ground!

1 comment:

  1. awesome, awesome photos! I love the one with shadows on the bridge. And the truck stop story is vey funny.

    ReplyDelete