Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Making my Way to America


Hopefully, you read the previous blog "My Seven Days with Networks" which gave more details on my ending activities. They did leave quite an impression on me.

As did my trip back to America.

I had the joy of having an "adventure filled" return trip. All good adventures. My flight pattern was this: Timisoara Romania to Budapest Hungary to Brussels Belgium to London England to Raleigh North Carolina to Chicago Illinois. I don't know about you, but that seems like alot so I decided to break it up with a few layovers.

My first layover was in Brussels Belgium where I got to spend 12 short hours with my friend Sarah and her family. Sarah and I met last year at Wilderness Trails Ranch where she started as a guest and loved it so much extended her stay two more weeks, one of which had her helping me out.

Even though I was in Brussels for only 12 hours, Sarah and her father voted that I could include it on my country list as I saw more things in those 12 hours than many people do in several days. We took a quick tour of Brussels where I saw some cool remnants from the World Fair in the 50's.


Sarah and I in front of the cool World Fair tower
(yes, Sarah is making herself small and I am trying to make myself tall)

After Brussels brief tour, we went back to Antwerp where Sarah's father lives. We stayed there overnight since it had more space than Sarah's place. And I got to see Antwerp - a very beautiful place.


Me trying to imitate the warrior pose of the statue in center square.
It is obvious I don't come from warrior roots.

Guild houses around the square (like our professional associations or guilds) from long ago


The Gold statues on top indicating which guild belongs to the building


One of the more beautiful train stations I have seen to date.
Check out this cool video of a very unusual sight in Belgium

I did have a very traditional food experience (and extremely tasty) of fries and mayonnaise. Hmm Hmmm Hmm. So much better than the version in America. I did round it off with lots of fruit so it was good for me.

After a far too short of a time in Belgium I made my way to Raleigh NC where I had eight days with my friend Christy. We toured Raleigh one day. Only took an hour. Although we did see a few cool things.
State building


My favorite mural.

And I got to visit with my cousin Mike and his wife, Toni and their kids. It had been since my brothers wedding in 2000, I think, since I last saw them. It was extremely wonderful and great to get caught up in person.

Now I am making my way to Seattle to teach a class at Bakke Graduate University in their brand new MBA program.

Still figuring out when to go back to Romania and what to do now. My homeless state is beginning to wear on me in new ways. I will keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment